Saturday, February 27, 2010

Man-In-Sea


Back in late 2000, when Al Gore was still trying to prove he’d won the pay raise and new crib fair and square, a photocopied cartoon passed through the Day Job. It featured a crying infant surrounded by a wooden plaque reading “Official Seal of the Democratic Party.” After this week’s health care summit, I’d like to see that seal passed to John “Sniffles” McCain and the twisted invalids he fights to represent. When asked flat out, no room to dodge, they could not explain why the felt it was so unreasonable for all of us to be healthy. I am a staunch believer that we are the greatest nation in the world, so it kind of pisses me off that people in France can go see the doctor whenever they want and not be docked for the days off work.

It’s an issue that weighs heavily on my mind right now, as my younger brother lays in a hospital bed recovering from his second surgery to remove a brain tumor that attacked him for no reason that anyone can explain to me. Matthew worked hard all his life, but there had no choice but to go on Medicaid when this happened, and he has been well taken care of. If you among those that want to stand in the way of that, I invite you to come sit with me in the hospital and watch him inspect his arm like he’s never seen it before or struggle to remember the number after thirteen.

In April I am publishing “Man-In-Sea,” based on the life of Edwin A. Link Jr., an inventor from Binghamton, NY., who built a carnival ride that revolutionized the world of flight and has been credited with defeating the Luftwaffe. All proceeds will go to help my brother’s recovery. If you are here with me in Binghamton, you can come to the release party April 16th at the ART Mission Theater. Bill Snyder of WSKG will lead the cast reading the story live. If you are interested in sponsoring books for this event, please contact me at TbStarlight@gmail.com. Next week, Laugh at Yourself First will have the new episode of The Witch King’s Sword. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment