Saturday, January 9, 2010

Laugh at Yourself First: The Witch King's Sword


Read "The Witch King's Sword, Episode 7," and more short fiction, scripts, and very little poetry at Laugh at Yourself First.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

The Fantasy story is a literary leftover from the fairy tale days when people didn't really know that much. We made up stories for the inexplicable to make the world less frightening. Oddly enough, many of those stories hold through into the modern age when we know a lot more. I used to lose myself in those tales of orcs and crossbows, and probably couldn't count the evenings, afternoons, and weekends I spent rolling dice around a gaming table, pretending to be a half-elf ranger, or my favorite tabletop war game, where I played the center of a hive mind of space bugs bent on devouring the space empire of mankind. For a while, I even worked in a fantasy game store, but I have no regrets. because I used that job to expose many impressionable minds to the Misfits.

In "The Witch King's Sword," I crawled back into the hole of fantasy literature I believed was behind me forever. Valentine and Chloe Isis entered a world of wizards and trolls after leaving the world of Dollars Per Hour. This week, I present the 7th episode of what I previously believed to be a 12-part story. I discovered layers and stories for these characters that can only happen with time. In this installment, Erby the troll leads Chloe and Valentine through the abandoned tomb of the Illithred to escape the Glithval warriors that pursue them.

If you're here with me in Binghamton, we're buried in snow and the air is nearly frozen solid. I've been begging for a day with roads I can travel, and at least a few minutes into the country where everything doesn't smell like wet concrete. I hope you'll come see me perform VOTE NUGE January 22nd at RiverRead Books. If that' doesn't work for you, I'll be at the ART Mission February 22nd. I'll have copies of NUGE FOR PREZ at both. If you're not somewhere you can go to those places, you should put me in touch with your local bookstore, and I'll come to you. Next week I'm going to make you endure my poetry. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment