Monday, January 11, 2010

Laugh at Yourself First: Poems About Girls


Read "Poems About Girls" and more short fiction, scripts, and very little poetry at Laugh at Yourself First.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

Don't misjudge my loyalty as a fan, I would probably still kill someone if Slayer asked me to. This week, the band canceled all scheduled tours because Tom Araya rocks too hard for his own body. I estimate only four to six hours of my total teenage years that Slayer was not playing in the background. During those four to six hours I was listening to Sepultura. The band has my undying devotion, but the "Reign in Bloods," and "Seasons in the Abysses," were long ago, and I cannot think of one time I've seen Tom's hands move but to grip the microphone. With the original lineup reunited at last, maybe the addition of a bass player for the first time in more than two decades of aggression could restore them to glory. Among the canceled shows was my teenage dream lineup with Megadeth and Metallica sharing the stage. Teenage me would have gotten punched by security when he tried to kill to get into that show. The US shows only had Megadeth. What a jip.

I can think of no poem more delicate than a Slayer song, and to honor them, I present you with a several poems I wrote for Lament Configuration and Oracle Phoetus. Originally, each told the tale of a lost love. If you like them, I've got 100 more that sound the same. Over the years, while I forgot who I wrote each about, I gained new perspective and each took on new meanings. I don't think they were all about the same person, but it makes for a better plot.

If you're here with me in Binghamton, you may have heard me read these poems last night at RiverRead Books. Next week I'll be there for my own show, reading from NUGE FOR PREZ and Other Fiction. You can find by short story collection, NUGE FOR PREZ and Other Fiction there, as well as the Book Shoppe in Montrose, PA., and the River's End Bookstore in Oswego, NY. Don't see your local bookstore on the list? Put me in touch with your local bookstore, and I'll take care of the rest. I have a new story at regularcrazy.blogspot.com I hope you'll look at. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment