Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry XXX Mass




I'm one of those 'Happy Holidays' types. It's true that most of us are obnoxious about it. I can certainly make myself into a downer this time of year. I've never gotten the hang of receiving gifts. When I was a little kid, I was overzealous about presents, but now that I'm older, I could do with out. We can all use encouragement to give more at times, so I'm happy with that part of the season.

The Post Office is no fun this time of year, with its lines out the door and the brakes on full speed. The breaks also remain at full speed, and if you're here with me in Binghamton, there's a good chance you were there with me in line to see an officer put out his "Next Window" sign to leave a first-day trainee alone. To be fair, other officers stood around to answer her questions, but they would not sell us stamps. There used to be a machine that dispensed individual and books of stamps, but it was removed when its parts became obsolete a couple years later. This year, I could have delivered my cards faster driving them around town.

Is the Post Office some vast experiment testing the limits of negative customer service? In response to increasing pressure from parcel services in the private sector, and my good friend the e-mail, it seems the postal workers have racheted up the inefficiency and rudeness to a new high. Congratulations to our Congress this week for finally picking up the ball our President dropped when he found out he could use the private jet. We're on a road to being on a level with the rest of the civilized world! I expect to see many critics of government health care in line to use it the first day with no clue of the irony. When the new system is in place, I imagine it will be at least as annoying and user-friendly as the Post Office. There is no Laugh at Yourself First this week. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment