Friday, June 5, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: A Love Song for Mary Jane Kelly


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for “A Love Song for Mary Jeanette Kelly,” and more short stories, scripts, and very little poetry from Paul Juser.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

Last week I announced a contest. In it's honor, I'm announcing another this week. First off, I'm renaming "Take Me To Your Leader" to "Take Me To Your Sasquatch." This is to commemorate the completion of a story I've been trying to get out of my head for a year. "Lair of the Snow Sasquatch" embarks Dr. Filth on a new career as a cryptozoologist hunting the elusive beast. I'll finish that for you this summer. Second, Mary Jane Kelly is a real person. The first person to email TbStarlight@gmail.com with her identity wins my hand-corrected manuscript of the story. The winner will be announced in next week's Print is Better. Where else do you get this many contests for your buck? These are the days of Wikipedia, so wrong answers will be punished with Stephen King novels. While supplies last.

I revised the title as well as the story from what I used to read live as "...Mary Jeanette Kelly." Readers who've been with me a while may remember a lot more pages, and a lot more gore. Printed versions may still exist in a chapbook called, "A Fugative in God's Country," but part of me hopes not. I made several attempts at a novel about this character, and even finished one draft before it disturbed me enough to shred the manuscript and erase the file. This story remained, and time has allowed several new perspectives, as well as one stylistic rewrite I hope you'll enjoy if you don't run out of breath first.

If you’re here with me in Binghamton, I hope you already know the artists I'm working with this summer. First and foremost, Bill Snyder is going to record AIN SOPH for me. Bill is a walking encyclopedia of opera and has a mad-hatter twang that should be reading Kurt Vonnegut. Hear is classical music show Monday-Friday mornings on WSKG. I just finished "Bones Bonus Round #8" with Ian Daddybones of the Original Geeks Podcast. Daddybones and Jiinx discuss video games, movies, comic boooks, and wrestling in a bi-weekly podcast that has become my editiing music. If you've ever asked, “What is there to do in Binghamton?” 607 Magazine has the answer. I also delivered two new restaurant reviews for my gonzo column, “Eating Out Upstate.” I also met up recently with Dr. Bartlemania who's spun the best rock show on WHRW for years. We're arranging time very soon to do some recordings, as well. I'm interested in hearing from musicians for background music. I have one more surprise for my long-time readers as to who will also be working on the AIN SOPH recording. Next week, I'm going to take a break to catch up and offer up the poems I used to perform with Lament Configuration. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment