Sunday, May 16, 2010


Read "A Parable" and more short fiction, scripts, and very little poetry at Laugh at Yourself First.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

Governor Patterson got knocked down a few pegs last week when his plan to force furloughs on State Workers was thrown out by a single judge after the entire New York State Government said, "It's cool as long as it's not me." My Dad works for the State, so I'm trying my damndest to remain unbiased. I don't expect I can do it more than a few sentences. It's not the reason I think Patterson is a sleaze. The Day Job takes me through a fair cross-section of New York schools, and I see the condition many of them are already in. A seventh grader recently asked me what "A-P-P-L-E" spelled. The more inner-city, the more it feels like a prison-in-training. I find those schools populated by happy kids willing to open up and laugh with the first person to treat them like a human being.

I've seen good people teaching, desperate to give these kids some kind of future, but they are stymied by an antiquated system based around a standardized Regents test that was dumped by every state but California decades ago. Look how California turned out. It's admirable that Patterson wants to end the frat party that's been raging in Albany since Teddy Roosevelt moved up from the City. However, when it came time to cut, Patterson went first for the schools. Then he went for the rank-and-file. A Caesar would be proud of this kind of governance, but we're 1500 years past that. Now that the furlough's program fell through, Patterson is attacking the schools once more. You don't have to be here with me in Binghamton to know this path couldn't be more wrong. "The Vampire of Doom City" ends 6/15 at regularcrazy.blogspot.com. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment