Saturday, August 8, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: Dr. Filth Vs. the Surgeon


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for “Dr. Filth Vs. the Surgeon,” and more short fiction, scripts, and very little poetry by Paul Juser.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

I had some embarrassing moments this past week. It started when I called my neighbor’s baby daughter a “handsome little man,” and went downhill from there. A few years ago, one of my childhood friends did art for a comic named “Swamp Fox.” I drew ninja comics with this guy in middle school, so I was excited to see him succeed. I was out of town for the signing, but visited the store the next day for a copy. I was directed to the book by the owner of the shop, who I think I once played Dungeons & Dragon’s with. It wasn't signed, but I figured I'd run into Joe eventually for his John Hancock.

If you’re here with me in Binghamton, you’re probably impressed with our vast array of farmer’s market. Most accept food stamps. This past weekend, I saw Joe was signing his new comic, “The Boy Named Last,” at a farmer’s market in Vestal. I pulled "Swamp Fox" off the shelf but couldn’t find Joe’s name, and couldn’t remember which story the shop owner had pointed out when he took the book out of it’s wrapping for me. When I presented the book that morning, he said, “Oh yeah, I did art for that guy.” I saw my fate unfold before me eyes, but was powerless to prevent. Technically, this was the first time the same shopkeep sold me the wrong book, but it wasn't the first time I'd discovered it. This is a man whose elf I once saved from a dragon, but that was long ago in a Forgotten Realm far, far away. He can't be expected to remember all his many adventures. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment