Friday, July 17, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: The Witch King's Sword


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for "The Witch King's Sword, Episode 4," and more short fiction, scripts, and very little poetry by Paul Juser.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

I've won a contest for you! Until the end of July, you will receive 10% off print copies of Nuge for Prez when you enter the code JULYCONTEST10 with your order at Lulu.com. As always, you can read the .pdf for free, but downloaded copies don't come with my eternal thanks and gratitude. If that's not an unbeatable deal, I don't know what is. This week's Laugh at Yourself is Episode 4 of The Witch King's Sword. Sword & Sorcery makes me shudder at the thought of half-elf kissing cousins, but in my youth, that was all my pen could scratch. In this episode, Rubin and Chloe of Dollars Per Hour are lead by an ibis named Dahooty to Wicked City, home of the trolls to find a magic coat to save the Tree of Life. Episode 5 will be complete August 21st.

If you're here with me in Binghamton, I hope you've visited our only independent bookstore, RiverRead Books. Tonight, I visited their monthly poetry reading intending to read "Sweet Chastity in Wonderland." When I saw children in the crowd and no backup poem, I was forced to self-censor and respectfully decline. I briefly considered omitting the rat hanging from the pants of the Great World Leader, and anything else possibly offensive, but that would leave the poem at approximately 5 senseless lines. I consider this a win, because on opening night of the stage play, I was helpless to stand in the back and watch as my mother chose the front row seat before the coffin the Devil would later crawl into for improper relations with the corpse of the Voice of Morality.Two versions of Chastity were published on Laugh at Yourself First, so you can decide for yourself if I made the right choice. Next week I have a script for a comedy play, "The Legend of the Ghost of Dracula's Cook." Until then, thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment