Thursday, May 14, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: "No One Is Innocent, and There Are No Happy Endings"


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for "No One Is Innocent, and There Are No Happy Endings," and more short stories, scripts, and very little poetry from Paul Juser.
pauljuser.blogspot.com

For Laugh at Yourself this week, I went digging. “No One is Innocent...” was the final chapter of my first novel, “Beyond Desolation Row.” I spent the better part of 5 years revising, rewriting and resubmitting to every publishing house in New York. Eventually, I realized why the book was being rejected. Same reason most are rejected. "Desolation" stunk. I'm talking physically, a pungent stench would emanate from my computer every time I opened the file. When I first completed "Dollars Per Hour," I included this book as an extra on the e-book CD's I was giving away. This book was most likely read only by a captive audience on my couch, and I my biggest regret was few reached this final chapter which I always felt was the true gold of the story. Writers writing about writing is boring.

What have I learned about writing? Cut what doesn’t work. Here is “No One is Innocent, and there are No Happy Endings,” minus 200 long-winded pages that said next to nothing. Most likely only my closet friends will remember one or more of the ten different versions of the novel I read to captive audiences on my couch. This story is what I'd been trying to say all along. I hope you enjoy.

If you’re here with me in Binghamton, you’re probably sick to death of stepping around broken glass on the sidewalks. We’ve have some distinguished gentlemen letting us know they want to be our mayor. Are any of them willing spend a Saturday morning sweeping the sidewalk?

Monday at 5:30, I’ll be attending “The Hungry Ear” at the Binghamton Public Library. Started by Theatricks by Starlight’s Judy McMahon, the program features local actors reading classic literature. This week, Carolyn Christy-Boyden will be reads from the works of Anton Chekov. This will be a trip down memory lane, many more years than either of us would care to admit, when she read me stories as my kindergarten teacher. That's correct, even in kindergarten I was aware of Chekov's Gun. Next week I have a short comedy called "Nutritional Values." Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment