Friday, February 20, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: "Stranger in a Familiar Land"


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for “Stranger in a Familiar Land” and more short prose, script, and very little poetry by Paul Juser.
http://pauljuser.blogspot.com

Last week, I told you about “The Disappearance of Cotton Mayweather,” a short story of an abandoned city is told primarily in photographs. Even yesterday I believed I could accomplish the task, but for the second time in a month I’ve let you down. I hope nobody's weekend is ruined.

I finished the photos, and I finished the text, but I have not tied them together as much as I'd like. The final decision came this morning when I looked out the window and saw the abysmal conditions matching those I describe in the story. In photography, there are not many opportunities for revision like that. I swear I will have Cotton for you next week.

In it’s place, I offer “Stranger in a Familiar Land.” I've posted more poems than I've promised, but this one is good. I read this poem live with Lament Configuration, and there may be recordings of it from a radio show. If you happen to have one, please send it my way. This version has been cleaned up since then, I hope you enjoy.

If you’re here with me in Binghamton, this weekend is your last chance to see “Bent” at the Binghamton City Stage. I’ve worked with Sean Kimber, Joe Petrolawicz, Marty Murray, and Mickey Ray a number of times, and they are fantastic actors. Visit knowtheatre.org for details.

I hope the icebox thaws soon, but in the mean time, "Dollars Per Hour" is the best way to spend these cold nights. It’s laugh-out-loud funny, to keep your blood moving until Spring. Take it from me, I wrote it. You can decide for yourself by downloading the .pdf, or purchasing a print copy at Lulu.com. Don't feel bad if you can't order now. I'm more interested in readers than purchases. I don't even mind if you print these stories yourself. Everyone agrees, print is better. You'll be helping me out more by passing it along when you're through. Thank you for reading.

-Paul
http://printisbetter.blogspot.com

1 comment: