Thursday, February 5, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: "Khan el-Khalili"

I got back on the social-network nod this week. Crisis averted. I’m guilty of spamming. I apologize, I thought I was networking. A careful reading of the Terms of Conduct specifically forbids networking with any person you know outside a face-to-face setting. It’s near the bottom. After all my ranting, it turns out I’m the bad guy. According to a popular free encyclopedia, under threat of fines, prison time, and Google Ads, every site on the net by law must forbid every action they actively encourage. The law was put in place to discourage Illegal Downloaders. I can take a picture worth a thousand words or more, but it takes real talent to write a thousand words that eloquently say nothing.

I did think to myself several times, “This is exactly like spamming!” I like to think of myself as a new breed of spammer. I’m not hacking your passwords to steal credit cards. I’m not even asking you to buy it. I am endlessly making the same request, but only to show you something I put endless amounts of my own sweat into. Of course, I won’t turn you away if you wish to purchase my novel, “Dollars Per Hour,” beautifully bound and shipped to your door through Lulu.com. You can even download “Dollars” first to make sure you like it. That has to be a better class of person than the refugee billionaires from Kenya or those Vampire Mafias trying to recruit me. I manage to do it without as many misspellings or those long strings of ‘x’s and ‘o’s.

I promised more techno-mayhem this week. In the spirit of Terminator, the Matrix, and that movie with Fred Savage playing Tetris, AIN SOPH is a story of video games gone mad. I’ve been trying to write the story for about three years as a novel, but couldn’t get the story to move. As a short story, it wouldn’t stop. A game monster comes becomes conscious and steals all the money in the real world. The monster’s designer must enter the game to destroy it. There is action, adventure, and I promise it will be better than the time it happened on “The X-Files.” I hope you’ll wait a few weeks for AIN SOPH. In the mean time, I’ve put up a short called “Khan-el Khalili,” written during my recent visit to Egypt. Thank you for reading.

–Paul
"Laugh at Yourself First" http://pauljuser.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment