Friday, April 10, 2009

Laugh at Yourself First: "Dead but Dreaming"


Visit Laugh at Yourself First for “Dead but Dreaming,” and more short stories, scripts, and very little poetry from Paul Juser.
http://pauljuser.blogspot.com

If you’re here with me in Binghamton, it’s been a rough week. Most of the news vultures have crawled back in the holes, and the rest of you are waiting on the comprehensive book on Jiverly Voong. I won’t be the one to write it, I guarantee you that. I appreciate all the concern I received from around the world to make sure I’m okay.

Neither me, or anyone close to me were injured in the event, but I walk, bike, or drive past the ACA nearly every day. The building is across the river, barely out of sight from my office window. Each summer I enjoy pierogies in the same kitchen that shielded more than a dozen people from bullets. I spent last Friday listening to sirens and helicopters, watching my drunk mayor deified on CNN. Like everyone in my little city, I’m reassembling the little bit of normalcy we had before.

This week’s Laugh departs from the Sci-Fi and Fantasy themes I’ve been pursuing. While the title, “Dead but Dreaming” comes straight from H.P. Lovecraft, the only monsters you’ll read about here are addiction, affliction, and abuse. I read this story live a few years ago, but this version is heavily revised. Next week, I’m giving you poetry. I have two poems for next week, but they are short. Dr. Filth returns April 24th in “Parade Day.”

This week, I delivered my first two restaurant reviews to 607 Magazine. I spend a lot of time on the road, which leads me to eat in many strange places. “Eating Out Upstate” will let you know which are worth the atmosphere. Have I dined in your town? Visit www.607magazine.com to find out. I also had the pleasure of interviewing on the Original Geeks Podcast this week. I talked with Daddybones and Jiinx about Laugh at Yourself First, Dollars Per Hour, superheroes, comic books and wrestling. We also performed “The Greatest American Hero. Episode 42 should be available online at www.originalgeekspodcast.com sometime tomorrow. I’ve added more to the Print is Better blog. Thanks for reading.

-Paul
printisbetter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment